Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Week 1: Lists of Shows


1. Shows I've been watching since school’s been out
  • Game of Thrones
  • The Walking Dead
  • Breaking Bad
I really like the storyline in Game of Thrones, there is always something that keeps me interested. I recently started to read the books and it is amazing.

I first heard about The Walking Dead while I was taking my freshman English course. My professor was pretty interested in the zombie sub-genre and she introduced us to the Walking Dead comic. I was really excited to hear it became a TV show and I've been following it ever since.

I started watching Breaking Bad because I saw it on Netflix, I really like the characters in this show. I especially like seeing the character development of Walter White. (I don't want to spoil it for anyone who hasn't watched it)


2. Peripheral Shows -- Shows I watch because someone else is watching them
  • The Mighty Boosh
  • Bad Education
  • QI - Quite Interesting
  • Top Gear - UK only.
  • Black Books
  • Family Guy 
  • Futurama
My roommate introduces me to a lot of British Television shows. I think they are more interesting than American. I enjoy British Comedy over American.

As for Family Guy and Futurama, I used to watch these shows all the time at home, but I've stopped and only watch these shows if somebody else is watching them.


3. Guilty No-Go -- Shows I think I should watch because other people like them
  • Seinfeld
Seinfeld is a pretty popular show I hear, but I'd only watch it if I were in a hospital bed or something. I'd watch a couple other things before watching Seinfeld.


4. Guilty Pleasures
  • Power Rangers
  • Justice League
  • Power Puff Girls
I used to watch these shows all the time as a child. I always liked how the Power Rangers had their robots transform into a bigger robot to combine their powers. As for the Justice League and Power Puff Girls... I suppose I generally enjoy shows that have some sort of superpower. Plus, Mojo Jo-Jo is just hilarious.


5. All-Time Favorites
  • Doctor Who
I started to watch Doctor Who a couple years ago when Christopher Eccleston was still The Doctor. I've loved this show ever since and I don't think I can ever stop.


6. Shows I used to like, but not anymore
  • Dragon Ball Z
  • Heroes
I used to watch Dragon Ball Z after school. I've tried re-watching DBZ, but I can't take it seriously anymore. There are just too many "powering up" scenes. 

As for Heroes. My friend and I were all about this show when it aired during high-school. But after the first season, it just got less and less interesting.


7. Shows I resisted for a long time, but now I'm a fan
  • Lost 
  • Game of Thrones
I first heard of Lost during high-school, but I didn't watch it because I thought it was a reality show like Survivor. When I found this show on Netflix, my friend recommended that I watch it and told me it was a supernatural/Sci-Fi, I gave it another chance and couldn't stop watching. 

I didn't watch Game of Thrones at first because I thought it was just a medieval show. Then, when I found out there were zombie-like creatures (White Walkers), I instantly became interested and started to watch it. I was also watching The Walking Dead at the time and I wanted another zombie show. When I also found out about the dragons and the amazing storyline, Game of Thrones became a favorite.

 
8. Shows I would rather eat charcoal than watch these shows
  • Some Reality Shows
    • Here Comes Honey Boo Boo
    • Jersey Shore
  • Recent Cartoon Network Shows
    • Adventure Time
    • Chowder
    • Regular Show
I generally don't like shows like Here Comes Honey Boo Boo or Jersey Shore, these shows do not interest me whatsoever.

I tried watching some recent Cartoon Network Shows like Adventure Time and Regular Show, but I from what I've seen a lot of it is just nonsense and I cannot make myself sit and watch these shows.  


9. Anime and other Cartoons I enjoy

  • One Piece
  • Hunter x Hunter
  • Sword Art Online
  • Yu Yu Hakusho
  • Samurai Jack
  • Avatar the Last Airbender
  • The Legend of Korra
  • Dexter's Labratory
I grew up watching Japanese Anime and other cartoons. As a child, I always enjoyed drawing and making little animations. These shows are just my favorites.



2 comments:

  1. Hi Brian! Hope your summer has started off well! I love that you like Anime. I was wondering if you had ever seen Cowboy Beepbop? Probably one of my all time favorites! I definitely recommend. The style is pretty edgy and I love the corgi Ein. I also love Top Gear and all other British shows. I agree that their humor is much better than American humor and I love their idealization of human beings. The people that the hold as celebrities are always real people rather than these super celebs that America has, who are outrageously pretty. Jeremy Clarkson always points this out when joking with Richard Hammonds about his abnormally white teeth.
    I'm also a huge Doctor Who fan (I'm actually wearing a Timelord t-shirt now). I agree that Chris Eccleston was a wonderful doctor. He stole my attention and David Tennant stole my heart. Haha. You should check out the older show as well. It started as an educational after school special, but gets much better by the time the fourth doctor comes around! I believe most are available on Netflix, minus the first season due to the VHS tapes being taped over by the BBC to save money back in the day. :)
    Hope the rest of your summer is AWESOME! Good luck in class as well.

    -Jade

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you should give Adventure Time another chance. Although the style of humor on the show may turn people off, the longer you watch it you realize there is a rich backstory to the show that you learn more about during the course of the show. I like Nickelodeon's Avatar series too, because while most kids' tv today is more or less played for comedy, Avatar and Korra are bothy highly dramatic series that are very rare in children's TV and kids shows in general, and I think animation can be just as dramatic as live-action shows can, and I hope to see more dramatic kid shows in the future

    ReplyDelete