Friday, June 28, 2013

Final Week: Reflect!


As I look through my list of favorite and less-favorite television shows,  I feel that my changing tastes reflect bits of my sense of identity. Like many people, I often watch shows that I can relate to in some sort of way. I especially enjoy watching shows like Doctor Who because there have been many times where I could not bear to watch anymore because I was afraid of the outcome. If a show invokes an emotion in me while I'm watching, I believe that it must mean the show is good for it to actually make me feel sad, angry, happy. For example, when a show kills off some of my favorite characters (Game of Thrones/Doctor Who/ Walking Dead..../etc..), of course I feel distraught, but I feel that I enjoy the show more when that happens.

If a show actually falls out of my favor, it most likely means that I am occupied doing something else or I have simply forgotten about it. Not because I have suddenly changed my opinion of the show. Normally, if I start watching something, I keep watching it until the story is complete. If I notice characters or plot-lines that I disagree with, I simply question about it and try to find out why a character is such a way or why a plot-line is going a certain direction. Again, if the answer to these questions invoke an emotion, I enjoy the show more because at that point, I have been fully immersed in the show. 

As I watch these shows and try to decipher the storylines, it is similar to how we did the A/B/C storylines and the reception assignment. Trying to understand what in my own way, what else is going on in the show and what are the underlying storylines is a great way to become immersed in the show. It becomes even better when there are other people to converse with about these ideas. Often times, different people will have different opinions about a show and its story. It is great getting to know what other people have concluded. Analyzing shows in this manner brings many more ideas to the table and it makes for a great conversation!

No comments:

Post a Comment